Summer: vacation or study?
Cause is time
Please note that there are no longer long vacations like in Russia in any other country: for three whole months our children are simply forced to sit back (read here what to do with a child on vacation). Meanwhile, one month of “doing nothing” would be enough to fully relax.
Parents relate to such a holiday in different ways: someone does not even remember studying, some mothers and fathers insistently offer their child to go through the next class program - textbooks have already been received, and some just think that a child should study only in five, which means , omissions in the educational process are unacceptable.
But, if the child has no problems with study, he studies well, there is no need for such regular classes. Of course, an elementary school student can repeat the multiplication table or read more - so it will be easier for him to get involved in school at the beginning of the year. The list of “summer reading” is quite enough for a “good guy”. By the way, it’s better to make August as relaxed as possible - there are still nine months of tension ahead.
How to help?
If the child is listed as "lagging behind", summer extra classes will be useful to him. But first of all, it’s worth not loading it with summer studies, but understanding and understanding what caused the backlog from the program. Maybe it's due to dyslexia, or lack of attention, or some kind of traumatic situation in school. Then the summer is perfect to consult with a psychologist or neuropsychologist, to understand the problem, find a suitable tutor and make a lesson plan. For a child, summer studies should by no means be a punishment! Speak with him sincerely, say: “Your knowledge gaps are our common problem, and there are such ways to solve it: additional classes, a tutor. I’ll have to make a little effort to “catch up” with the program, but then it will be much easier. ”
But in the summer, the child has the opportunity to communicate more often with parents, so use this time to keep the child’s brain “in good shape” - to broaden horizons, improve vocabulary, and develop imagination. Such classes will be more effective the less they look like school lessons. The school curriculum is easy to integrate into everyday life: during lunch, discuss the boiling temperature of the water, while walking together, calculate the average speed of the cyclist and the distance to the lake or count the number of legs per spider, talk in the evening about the state structure. Ideas for experiences and educational games for the summer, see here.
But this approach will not work with adolescents: teenagers live a period of rebellion - natural and important for development. A good summer camp with an interesting program corresponding to their inclinations is best suited.
- Do not force the child to do something useful and informative, if he does not want to - after all, this is his vacation, legal rest. But gadgets - a phone, a tablet and a computer - are best gently but persistently removed from public access and issued on a schedule. Very mobilizes children's imagination!
- Play and carry out experiments with the child: if you just give him the game, instructions and ingredients, but at the same time remove yourself, there will be no benefit.
- Schoolboy there must be a time when he really will not do anything, and let it not make you nervous. Even if the child has just been lying in a hammock for a couple of hours and looking at the sky! At this time, he, incidentally, is doing a very important thing: he knows himself
- Do not send a child to a theme camp if he does not have a penchant for and interest in the areas studied there. The idea “he will get involved and become interested” does not work: on the contrary, a child, looking at enthusiastic peers, will feel, to put it mildly, completely out of work.
- Short-term but regular classes will do more good than the rare and unpredictable blitz kriegs. It is better to offer the child in passing a logical task, ask the formula for acceleration or 10 minutes a day (but daily) together to learn new foreign words.