Ready for school!
How to prepare your child for the new school year?
As usual, on the first day of autumn, children go to school, impatiently looking forward to meeting with classmates and meeting new students. But a week passes, and there is no trace of a joyful mood. The child is no longer torn to school in the morning, complaining of fatigue and headache. What happened?
September 1 Syndrome
Experts are sure - we are talking about the syndrome of the first of September. His (child's) psychological condition is aggravated by the fact that the break in classes was so long. This is a real stress for the child to return to school after the summer holidays. What causes it?
- Anxiety that the student forgot all the teaching material that was successfully completed in the previous class.
- Fear that classmates and new fellow practitioners for some reason will reject him.
- Experiences related to meeting with already familiar teachers and meeting new teachers.
- Fear of losing parental love due to poor grades.
- The horror of parting with parents and other significant adults (first-graders are especially prone to these experiences).
How to recognize the syndrome?
If you notice that your child is a week or two after the start of the school year:
- became nervous and capricious, he has sharp mood swings (for example, he may suddenly burst into tears for no reason), stopped listening, gets tired quickly, doesn’t want to talk about school, he has difficulty concentrating at the time of preparing his homework, he makes many mistakes;
- not getting enough sleep, his sleep became very sensitive and restless, he cries out or groans in a dream;
- Lost his appetite or, conversely, began to overeat and be attracted to sweets;
- complains of a headache before sitting down for homework or going to school in the morning.
- All of the symptoms listed above indicate that your son or daughter is under stress and that he / she needs help.
After hard work during the school year, summer idleness relaxes the child. Our control over his daily routine is also reduced.
Children quickly get used to such a relaxed rhythm of life. Often, adults are convinced that the child’s psyche is very flexible and the child will be able to quickly rebuild.
Know that in fact this period takes from 2-3 weeks to one and a half months! It all depends on the individual characteristics of the child and his age.
It is important that the child’s nutrition is regular and varied, contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins. The regimen most suitable for the student is a 4–5-time meal. And for breakfast, lunch and dinner, there must certainly be a hot dish. Do not let the child go to school without breakfast, otherwise the first two lessons he will be hungry, and high school students - and all 3-4 lessons. .
The new school year
Preparing for the new school year
It should start ... during the summer holidays. Yes, fresh air, a vibrant lifestyle, berries and fruits, and a sea of positive emotions are an essential part of the preparation program for the new school year.
The second component of successful adaptation is compliance with the regime. At least 2 weeks before September 1, begin to put your baby to bed 10 minutes earlier. And wake him up 10 minutes earlier in the morning. By shifting his sleep schedule daily to the start of the school year, you can win more than two hours.
“At 22 hours, your child should already be in bed, the optimal sleep time for him is 7-10 hours,” says pediatrician Anastasia Katyukhina. - Afternoon sleep is useful for elementary school students. It is necessary to make 10-15-minute pauses in the process of preparing homework so as not to overload visual analyzers. ” The pediatrician believes that after school, the child should spend at least 2 hours in the fresh air.
set of exercises
- Sit upright, stretch out your arms on the table (palms on the countertop). Put your palms and forearm on the table. Move with both hands simultaneously or alternately.
- Remove the brushes under the table, push them down from the table.
- While sitting on a chair, push your heels to the floor.
- While sitting on a chair, tighten your buttocks.
- While sitting on a chair, exhale, tighten your abdominal muscles. Performing each exercise, maintain tension 3-5 sec., Then relax the muscles.
Learn to learn
Natalya SANCHUK, child psychologist
To make the transition from vacation to study a smooth one, be patient: do not scold for grades, do not blame for irresponsibility, and be more lenient towards mistakes. Cheer up the baby.
- The intensity of external stimuli should be reduced: noise, vanity, brightness. Distribute his time so that he does not constantly rush from school to the circle. A child’s success should not cost him health.
- The first week parents should organize their day in such a way as to pick it up right after class. If he sits down for lessons at 7-8 o’clock in the evening, he quickly gets tired. It is important to complete tasks 1.5 hours before bedtime. The optimal time for solving homework is from 15.00 to 16.30 for younger students and from 15.00 to 18.00 for high school students.