How to deal with insomnia
If you slept 6-7 hours or less at night, then the next day you will feel truly overwhelmed. Your head hurts, you crawl at the speed of a turtle, you can hardly concentrate on the most important issues and can’t remember: did you call the clinic to make an appointment with the dentist, or were you just going to do it?
Anxiety is considered the most common cause of insomnia, although by no means the only one. You probably don’t even think about many factors. Perhaps the room is too hot. Or the cappuccino you drank a couple of hours after lunch is to blame. We have compiled for you the most popular causes of sleep disorders and offer tips to help deal with insomnia.
You can't fall asleep
And all that is able to think about is: how hard it will be for you tomorrow morning!
Reason: Too much caffeine
Caffeine, which is found in coffee, tea, cola, and certain medications, blocks the production of adenosine, a substance that is produced by the brain and promotes sleep. In addition, caffeine reduces the amount of melatonin, the sleep hormone, in the body. Because of this, difficulties arise when falling asleep, and the dream itself becomes restless.
- Drink coffee in the morning. And try not to abuse it! The daily dose of caffeine intake should not exceed 250 mg per day (approximately so much is contained in 3 cups of coffee of medium strength).
Reason: too much light
Admit it: do you like to read in bed before bedtime (and use an e-book), watch TV or read the news on the iPad? All these devices emit a short-wave blue glow, which is perceived by the body as sunlight. And if the sun shines with might and main, we are not up to sleep.
- To get rid of insomnia, make it a rule to turn off all gadgets about an hour before going to bed. In addition, if you live in a big city where lanterns and billboards shine all night, be sure to hang thick curtains on the windows.
You do not drink coffee, gently curtain the windows and meditate in the evenings. You have no idea what the reason is, but each time for several hours tossing and turning from side to side. Perhaps such tricks will help you.
- Lie in a warm bath. Your muscles will relax and your body temperature will rise. When you leave the bathroom, the temperature will gradually begin to decrease, and this is what happens to our body when melatonin is actively produced and we fall asleep.
- Ventilate the room and reduce heating. If the room is too hot, you are unlikely to sleep well. However, too cold is also bad. Usually, the temperature from 18 to 21 degrees is considered the most comfortable for sleeping.
- Try relaxation techniques. Here is the simplest: lie down on the bed, turn off the light and take a deep breath, counting to yourself up to five, then the same slow exhale. Continue until your body relaxes.
- Get out of bed. If you can’t fall asleep, stop tossing and turning from side to side. Get up and do something useful. If you reduce the time you spend in bed awake, you will fall asleep faster, and your sleep will become deeper. How to sleep
What to do if you often wake up
You often wake up
What is this noise? Just water in the pipes? Well, now you are finally awake ...
Reason: your needs
Today we are sure that a person needs 8 hours of continuous night sleep, but in the past in some countries it was customary to sleep at night in two doses, and one sleep period was separated from the other by an interval of 1-2 hours. And that was considered the norm. If you wake up every night and toss and turn in bed, trying your best to fall asleep, try to change your attitude.
- Get up and do breathing exercises. Treat such a break as a gift from heaven and do business. And when you get tired, go to bed again.
Reason: too much alcohol
Many claim that a glass of wine or beer helps them fall asleep, however you are unlikely to get enough sleep under the influence of alcohol. Most likely, you will wake up more often during the night. In addition, deep sleep will fall in the first half of the night, and in the second it will become superficial, because of which you will not get a full rest.
- If you are sure that alcohol helps you fall asleep, drink a little at dinner, but not before going to bed. And remember: the more you drink, the worse you will sleep. So limit yourself to one glass.
Reason: pain or discomfort
The most common causes are back pain and reflux (a condition in which the contents of the stomach are thrown into the esophagus). More often seizures occur during the day, but are possible at night.
- If your back hurts. When you sleep on your back, put a small pillow under your head and another under your knees to reduce the load on the lower part of the spine. If you are used to sleeping on your side, put a pillow under your legs - so that they are placed between the knee and hip.
- If you have gastritis or reflux disease. Lay the pillow not only under your head, but also under your shoulders to raise your back. And try to lose weight. Studies show that getting rid of the extra 5-7 kg can also reduce unpleasant symptoms. By the way, this same method will help you significantly reduce back pain.
What to do if you wake up already tired
You overslept 8 hours
Why in the morning do you wake up completely exhausted?
Apnea is characterized by involuntary breath holding in a dream, sometimes lasting up to a minute. There can be several dozen such delays during the night, and each time you wake up, often without realizing it. It seems to you that you slept continuously for 8 hours, but in fact your sleep was interrupted many times, which is why you did not get enough sleep. One of the symptoms of apnea is loud snoring. Ask your husband (if he has not complained about this yet) if you snore in a dream. Or turn on the recorder before bedtime.
- Go on a diet. 65% of all people suffering from apnea are overweight. By dropping a few pounds, you will significantly reduce the onset of symptoms, and you can even get rid of breathing problems.
- Change the pose. Most people experience respiratory problems while lying on their backs. Therefore, try to sleep on your side.
- If you do not snore at night and sleep for at least 8 hours, but wake up without strength, be sure to consult a doctor to find out the cause of the violations.
Cause: Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
It is believed that this is a hereditary disease, and its exacerbations are directly related to stress. Patients suffering from RLS complain of discomfort in the legs below the knee. It can be goosebumps, involuntary twitching, burning or cold. Unpleasant sensations prevent you from falling asleep and often make you wake up.
- With RLS, massages help, any relaxation techniques, moderate physical activity. In addition, doctors recommend reducing the consumption of alcohol and caffeinated drinks. If all this does not help, it is worthwhile to undergo an examination and first of all check the iron level: anemia can be one of the causes of RLS.
eat, drink and fall asleep
- White rice. To start the process of producing tryptophan, seratonin and melatonin in the evening, eat some pasta, white rice or baked potatoes for dinner.
- A glass of milk at night - this old method really works! After all, there is a lot of melatonin in milk. Better yet, eat some whole grain cereal. The carbohydrates that they contain will raise the level of the hormone tryptophan, which activates the production of seratonin.
- Cherry juice also contains a lot of melatonin. If you sleep poorly at night, try drinking 2 cups of cherry juice during the day.
- Pumpkin seeds are a storehouse of zinc that helps process tryptophan. To enhance the effect, eat seeds with dried fruits rich in carbohydrates (apples, dried apricots, blueberries).
What to do if you wake up too early
You wake up too early
And you can’t fall asleep anymore, and if you manage to do it, then getting up on time is very difficult.
Stress can be compared to a pair of strong hands that pull us out of sleep and prevent us from returning. According to statistics, almost 75% of patients who turn to doctors complaining of sleep disorders suffer from chronic anxiety or depression.
- Find inner peace. People who practice meditation regularly sleep more soundly. In addition, doctors are sure that proponents of meditation practices see more dreams, because the phase of REM sleep, during which we see dreams, is longer.
Reason: biological clock
With age, periods of deep sleep become shorter in a person. If at 20-30 years of age the dream is deep enough, then older people sleep so sensitively that even a truck outside the window or birdsong can wake them up. However, do not worry about the fact that in adulthood you can no longer get enough sleep. A study by British scientists in 2010 showed that older people sleep on average only 23 minutes less than middle-aged people. And 40-year-olds, in turn, sleep 20 minutes less than 20-30-year-olds.
- Watch out for the morning hours. It is this time that all successful businessmen and, in general, all people who have a successful career spend with benefit. Early in the morning you can devote to doing sports, walking in the fresh air, reading news or mail. Remember the proverb “He who rises early, God gives to him”?
dream: moments of history
5500 BC e. Capsules with opium found. A prehistoric sleeping pill prepared on the basis of poppy was discovered in one of the caves in Spain.1697 - "Sleeping Beauty". In France, printed a classic fairy tale by Charles Perrault.1899 - Sigmund Freud publishes his dream interpretation work.1973 “The dreamer.” The screens out the futuristic film Woody Allen.
1992 - In the United States launched the world's most popular sleeping pills.
2012 year - The diagnosis is insomnia. Over 25% of adults worldwide complain of sleep disturbances.