How to activate metabolism
A few years ago it was believed that a slowdown in metabolism over time is as natural as the need to use reading glasses or the appearance of gray hair. However, recent studies have shown that we can control approximately 30% of the processes associated with metabolism. Yes, the remaining 70%, which are responsible for digesting food or updating cells, are beyond our control. But doctors involved in the physiology of excess weight are sure that even those 30% of metabolic processes that we can affect are many.
1. Count calories. We all understand: to get rid of excess weight, you should abandon cream ice cream and cookies in favor of fresh apples and carrots. And, of course, we know that we need to gradually reduce portions. However, if such simple measures do not lead to weight loss, you should think about the calorie content of the foods you eat during the day and the number of calories needed to maintain weight.
It is believed that every 10 years, the metabolic rate in women decreases by 2-3%, which means that with age, your need for calories decreases slightly. For example, at the age of 25, a woman leading a moderately active lifestyle needs from 2000 to 2200 kcal. At 35, this amount decreases to 2000, and after 50 years - to 1800. But, if you want to lose weight, the amount of calories you have will be reduced. On average, about 40 kcal per day is needed to maintain weight for a 40-year-old woman leading a moderately active lifestyle with a height of 165 cm and a weight of 70 kg. And in order to lose kilograms, you will have to reduce the diet by about 500 kcal per day. This will allow you to lose 500 g per week.
However, keep in mind that it is impossible to reduce calorie intake too much. No matter how absurd this sounds, a strict diet can slow down your metabolism by 20%. When there are too few calories, our body switches to the "emergency" mode, trying to survive in a stressful situation and make more reserves for the future.
How to change the diet
2. Review your diet. Recently, it was believed that fractional nutrition helps to quickly lose weight. However, nutritionists today agree that a universal prescription for all women simply does not exist. All doctors agree on one thing: to feel good and maintain a healthy weight, a full breakfast is very important. And as for the rest of the meals throughout the day, you need to develop your own optimal regimen.
If in the past you have already tried unsuccessfully to lose weight, this time try experimenting to find the optimal diet. And when you find the best approach, start keeping a food diary. Bring all food and drinks into it. This will allow you to adequately assess the amount of calories absorbed and build a nutrition plan for the future.
3. Monitor your protein levels. Remember that you need to build muscle. Muscles are a kind of powerhouse of the human body. For a day, to maintain the activity of 1 kg of muscle, 12 kcal is needed, while 1 kg of fat consumes only 4 kcal. A study conducted in 2012 in the Netherlands led to the following results: a sufficient amount of protein consumed during the day helps to lose weight and maintain the result.
How much protein should be considered sufficient?
This is approximately 1.2 grams per kilogram of your weight. For example, with a weight of 72 kg, you need 86 g of protein daily. Boiled egg for breakfast (6 g), salad with tuna for lunch (16 g), 100 g low-fat cottage cheese for afternoon snack (12 g), 150 g baked chicken for dinner (52 g). If protein is present in your breakfast, this will not only energize you, but significantly reduce the need for snacks throughout the day.
4. Add pepper. Spicy seasonings - chili peppers, garlic, turmeric (in moderation, of course) - have a beneficial effect on the acceleration of metabolism. Add natural seasonings to your food, and you will not only activate the metabolism, but also make the dishes more delicious.
Weight Loss Workout
Burn excess calories
1. Pay attention to cardio training. Actively engaged in the gym, you burn a large number of calories. Thanks to this, metabolism is activated and calories continue to be consumed, even when you are resting. If 5 times a week you devote from 20 to 45 minutes to moderate physical activity, then the daily energy expenditure increases by 109 kcal. That is, the effect of classes persists even on those days when you are not training.
Try to do 30 minutes a day, and don’t worry that this will not be enough. As a result of a series of experiments, Danish scientists came to the conclusion that women who train for half an hour a day lose almost as much weight as those who spend 60 minutes training.
2. Alternate the pace. To increase your performance, change the pace at which you exercise. Within one minute, move as fast as possible, in the next minute slow down to relax. It’s easier to do this, and many women admit that training ceases to be a desperate struggle with calories, and turns into a kind of game.
3. Build muscle. After 30 years, our body gradually loses muscle mass. By the age of 40, it is reduced by about 5%. However, even three 25-minute sessions during the week will help you keep your muscles toned and burn 100 kcal in one workout. A pleasant result: with this approach, you lose up to 2 kg of pure fat per year. And you do not even have to do in the gym. Push-ups, squats, bends and swinging legs will be no less effective than training on the most modern simulators.
4. Move more. Here is a simple example: if you answer calls within an hour while sitting at your desk, you’ll spend 15 kcal. But if you talk while standing, then spend already 100 kcal! Upon closer inspection, it turns out that, by doing the usual things, you can burn up to 800 extra kcal per day, just by rising from a chair. In addition to the fight against excess weight, such changes will significantly affect the state of your health.
Try to bring as much physical activity into everyday life as possible. Some tricks are familiar to everyone: give up the elevator and go up the stairs. Instead of sending an e-mail to a colleague, get up and go to the next office, walk one bus stop on foot. But there are small tricks: while copying documents at work, stretch and stretch your arms. In the meantime, while the kettle is boiling at home, do a few tilts to the side.
5 myths about metabolism
Get rid of stress
1. Try meditation. If extra centimeters in the waist area cause real stress, then the fight against excess weight risks becoming a vicious circle. When you are constantly in a state of anxiety, the body begins to assimilate food differently, and you can gain weight, even if you eat and move, as usual. In addition, many seize stress with flour and sweets. And stress hormones slow down the metabolism. But regular practice of yoga and meditation will help you significantly reduce the level of stress hormones and normalize metabolic processes.
2. Be mindful of your weight. A long American study involved women who regularly engaged in oriental practices and did not allow the desire to lose weight to turn into an obsession. It was these women who lost the most weight and kept fit over the next year.
5 myths about metabolism
Popular ideas about what you need to do to lose weight do not always correspond to the true state of things.
- If there is after 18 hours, the metabolism slows down. If you do not have time to eat on time, then late in the evening you will be very hungry, exhausted and unhappy, and therefore most likely eat the excess.
- The slower you lose weight, the less likely that excess weight will return. In fact, there is no connection. Studies have shown that women who quickly lose weight usually lose more weight.
- To pump up muscles, you need to exercise more with small weights. On the contrary: instead of doing 20 sets with light dumbbells, increase the weight and do 8 sets.
- If you did a good job, then you earned a cake. It all depends on the load. If you walked on a treadmill at a fast pace for two hours, you can afford 100 g of chocolate biscuit (400 kcal).
If you stop training, then the muscles turn into fat. If you quit exercising, the muscles atrophy and you can gain weight. But one type of tissue (muscle) cannot transform into another (fat).